Monday, July 03, 2006

Day 1: Mexico City


Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know that I arrived safely in Mexico City.

The election results were supposed to be in last night, but I guess it was too close to call, so they will be announced Wednesday. Before we knew this we went to a big public square near our hotel (Hotel Isabel) and there was a big rally for Obrador (the leftist candidate) with fireworks, a giant screen, and lots of banners and flags. We thought we would be hearing the results, but I guess they were just...rallying...This means that we will be extending our stay in Mexico City until Wednesday, but we´ll be making some day trips.

Susanna is quite a character! She´s always looking around, observing and sizing up the situation, even when you think there´s not much to size up. She´s also a fast talker and thinker and seems to very nice. Not sure how old she is, but she looks much younger than I expected and has a ton of energy. Her English is pretty good, but she doesn´t know much Spanish at all, which I guess, makes me her official translator. I definitely need some work, but I´ve doing pretty well so far, and I already feel an improvement. I have a little phrasebook for when I hit any trouble spots. I´m a quick learner, so I¨m not terribly worried.

Anyways, I´m doing well, and I´m optimistic about the trip, and generally happy. Hope you are too.