Sunday, July 09, 2006

Day 7: Takin' it Easy in San Cristobal

Yesterday we didn't really do too much. We explored San Cristobal a bit, hung out at the internet "cafe" (I met a couple of nice Israeli girls who I managed to help quite a bit by knowing both Hebrew and Spanish--they are on a long trip in Mexico and hardly know any Spanish. Good luck, ladies!) and in the evening Susanna and I met with the head of the human rights group, Capise. He was extremely nice and hospitable. He explained how the Zapatista system of government and autonomy actually work, which was extremely interesting.

It would be presumptuous of me to try to break it all down for you in this space, but if you are interested in learning more about the Zapatistas in a more general way, here are a couple of articles you can read:

http://www.narconews.com/Issue38/article1416.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation

Afterwards, we tried to find a party that these Norweigan girls told us about. We actually met the girls in Mexico City at the Atenco rally with the Machetes I talk about below. They are human rights observers. We ran into them in town and they told us about this party, but I gave my flyer to the Israeli girls, knowing that Susanna had one too, but she lost hers, and we couldn't find the place at all. We were tired anyways, so whatever...

Today has been extreeeeeeemely relaxed. We went to a Mayan market about half an hour away. I'll put some pictures up later. Then we just hung out for the rest of the day. It was pretty rainy. Lots of internet time today. We also went to a really good Italian restaurant here in San Cristobal.

Tomorrow we are catching a van to Antigua, Guatemala at 6:45 am. Sure hope I can sleep on the bus!

Next chance I get I'll put up as many more pictures as I can.

Hasta luego!