Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day 4: Zocalo and the Pyramids

Crap! I just wrote this whole blog entry and then it just disappeared somehow. I'll try again.

We decided to go to the pyramids yesterday, and on the way to the metro we stopped at Zocalo Plaza, where there was a rally in support of Obrador. The elections here are creating quite a stir, and it seems like it could be months before a conclusion is reached, due to accusations of fraud on both sides, and an extremely small margin. The accusations of fraud include a 3 million vote discrepancy between votes counted and votes registered, ballots appearing en masse in garbage dumpsters, poor neighborhoods not even getting ballots in some cases, and more. Here's an article on it, but it's not exactly complete. It's fairly difficult to find something in English that deals with all the details.

The rally seemed to be largely communists, which was a little confusing since, despite Obrador being reasonably left of U.S. "liberals" for the most part, I would hardly call him a communist. Seems reminiscent of communist backing of John Kerry to a certain extent, although slightly less of a compomise, I suppose. The really strange part for me, is that it seemed like there was a strong Stalinist presence. I found this terribly confusing, but there is clearly and obviously much left for me to learn about Mexican politics. Obrador also seems to be carrying the Superhero vote, which, while it doesn't cover a lot of ground is certainly an influential group.








These guys tell me that they don't care who wins the election, because Jesus is the real president! They even showed me some quotes to prove it. I bet you can't guess what book the quotes were from!



Then we went to the pyramids:




Fun times!

Today we are going to take care of some boring things we need to do and then maybe go to the Museum of Anthropology.

Tonight: a 20 hour bus ride to Chiapas. joy.